ClickCease

Simple Practices To Prevent Fire Damage

Fire and Smoke Damage Restoration Company in Camarillo, CA

Dealing with a fire in your residential or commercial property can be a traumatic and stressful event. There are occasions when fires are unavoidable, but many times accidental indoor fires can be prevented with a little mindfulness and safe practice. Here are some examples on how you can keep your property and the people inside safe from the potential dangers of a fire.

Maintain Your Smoke Detectors And Keep A Fire Extinguisher On Hand

Smoke detectors are extremely important and should always be in good, working order. Not only do smoke detectors help with keeping you safe in the event of an emergency, but they can alert you of a fire in its early stages and may help you prevent the fire from spreading out of control. In order to keep your smoke detectors maintained properly, you should change the batteries in the unit annually. Dust and other particles can prevent a smoke detector from operating properly, so be sure to dust your detectors on occasion or if you visibly notice they are dirty. It is recommended that you update your smoke detectors every ten years, so be sure to replace any outdated detectors. It is also recommended that you keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, near your heat source, or in an easily accessible area in the event of an emergency.

Update Old Electronics And Wiring

Older wiring cannot keep up with the demand that newer appliances and electronics have for power. This can cause the wires to get so hot that it could potentially cause fire and smoke damage. The same can be said for older high power appliances, that may not be able to handle the amount of power coming in, and are more likely to have a critical malfunction. If the wiring in your home is over 30 years old, it may be beneficial to reach out to a professional electrician and get the situation assessed. If you find that you have mysterious burning smells, flickering lights or excessive power outages, or shocks and sparking from your electrical outlets, these could be signs that your wiring may be ready for an update.

Never Leave A Fire Unattended 

This may seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes in our busy days we can walk away from a candle, heat source, or food on the stove that can cause a potential threat.

Prevent Fire Damage

Practice Safe Kitchen Etiquette

The most common area for us to be working with heat and fires is in the kitchen. Here are some tips you should keep in mind in order to be working safely and preventing fire damage:

  • Never leave cooking food unattended
  • Old grease is highly flammable so be sure to clean your stove burners between uses
  • Always be careful when frying food
  • Only use microwave safe containers in your microwave
  • Try to avoid burning food and cooking at high temperatures. Using a kitchen timer or instant read thermometer can be very helpful
  • Be aware of the sleeves on your clothing, dish rags, and other fabrics as they are highly flammable

Clean Your Appliance Filters

Too much dust in your HVAC air filter or dryer lint build up can be enough to cause a house fire. Keeping these cleaned and maintained will also help your appliances to function properly and more efficiently. 

Dealing with a house fire is a devastating occurrence that we hope you never have to experience. If you are dealing with fire damage, know that you don’t have to go through it alone. Call our team of fire and smoke damage restoration experts at Vortex Restoration right away to begin your restoration journey.